Anna Osterman is the Soprano in the Spotlight today!

Anna Osterman, Soprano, has sung with SACC for 4 seasons and we're thrilled to be able to welcome her again for both our "A Spiritual Awakening" concert TODAY Saturday Jan. 13 and our "Psalms in Song" concert next weekend!

Tell us about yourself, Anna!
I am a San Antonio native and have loved music for as long as I can remember! I come from a musical family as well--my dad was an all state trumpet player and my mom plays the piano beautifully! Choir was always my niche (I’m not coordinated enough for most instruments!).  I went to high school in Northside ISD where I was a 3-year all-stater, was involved in musicals, and helped with an elementary honor choir.  I also sang for my church; I basically did anything that came my way! 

I graduated from O’Connor High School in 2005 and from there braved the West Texas winds to attend Texas Tech University in Lubbock. At Tech I was a member of the University Choir which provided many opportunities like singing an Evensong at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London. I also worked at a couple of middle schools to get teaching experience throughout my undergrad and was able to do a 6-week summer study abroad performing in Germany. After graduating from Tech in December of 2009 with a degree in Music Education, I came right back to San Antonio to work in my home district! I started working at Warren High School as the head choir director in February of 2010 then made the move to Brandeis High School in 2016. My husband is also a teacher (and a coach) for Northside and we recently welcomed our first child into the world! Evelyn Rose has changed our lives!


too cute.
If you could be any other vocal part, which part would you be?
I am an alto at heart! I even sing harmony to the radio all the time (Don’t ask me to sing karaoke! I don’t know the melody to most songs!).

Who is your musician crush?
In my sophomore year of high school, the All State Treble Clinician was Sandra Snow. I enjoyed her conducting and teaching so much!

What's the most valuable lesson you've ever in voice lessons or choir?
I learned how to be a team player and work with my peers early on. I love to collaborate and learn from my colleagues!

Do you know any other instruments?
I am “proficient” on piano. I have always wanted to learn guitar. I own a ukulele, but don’t ask me to play any songs, although I do know 4 chords!

Who is someone who inspired you and encouraged you to pursue music?
I had some wonderful mentors throughout my life. Like I said, my family is musical and was extremely supportive of me. My high school choir director, Aaron Hufty, was also a great inspiration. 

What's your favorite guilty musical pleasure?
Spice Girls! Ace of Base. Really 90s pop is my jam! 

Anna wants ta really really really wants ta sing-a-sing!  Aaaaah!

Don't forget to see Anna in person at one or both of our upcoming concerts!


A Spiritual Awakening
Saturday, Jan. 13
7:30pm
San Fernando Cathedral

This FREE one-hour concert is in collaboration with San Antonio's DreamWeek, the mission of which is to advance the teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and other great humanitarians like him by proliferating and modernizing their aspirations of a more equitable and enlightened society for all.  SACC will be singing some of the most beloved spirituals of all time with arrangements by Moses Hogan, William Dawson, Hall Johnson, Stacey Gibbs, and more!


Psalms in Song
Saturday, Jan. 20
7:30pm
Basilica of the National Shrine of the Little Flower
Click Here for Tickets

Sunday, Jan. 21
3:00pm
First Baptist Church
No ticket required; Donations Appreciated

The Psalms are full of beautiful prose which has inspired composers from all over the world for generations.  SACC will present a wide array of beautiful choral psalm settings from six different centuries including works by Palestrina, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Randall Thompson, Herbert Howells, Felix Mendelssohn, and a world premiere of a work by Hungarian composer Levente Gyongyosi that was dedicated to the San Antonio Chamber Choir!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SACC welcomes our new Executive Director, Roland Barrera!

Announcing the Alamo City Street Choir!