Singer Spotlight on Soprano Selli! (Lindsay!)

SACC is thrilled to welcome back Lindsay Selli, soprano, for our The Mystery of Christmas concert on Dec. 16 and 17!  Lindsay began singing with SACC at the same time our artistic director, Rick Bjella, began his tenure.  


Tell us about yourself, Lindsay!
I'm a San Antonio native, minus the two years I spent in Dallas doing my graduate work at Southern Methodist University. I currently work as the Administrative Assistant for Missions at First Presbyterian Church. I also serve as section leader in the sanctuary choir at FPC, participate in outreach events and sing with the professional chorus of Opera San Antonio, sing with SACC, teach voice and beginner piano, and am a freelance singer. I'm married to a wonderful man originally from Estonia named Vello.  

Music has always been a part of my life: from beginning piano lessons in 3rd grade, to clarinet in middle school, and finally choir. I had no aspiration to continue any musical endeavors after high school but my choir teacher, Jennifer Whatley (another SACC member), told me that I was going to audition at UTSA and start a voice performance degree. That's exactly what I did and I am so thankful for her guidance! I have been a finalist in the National Opera Association Competition, several NATS (regional and area) competitions, and the Mid-Texas Symphony Vocal Competition. I've also been able to perform in venues in Austria, the Czech Republic, and Italy through Young Artist Programs.



If you could be any other vocal part, which part would you be?
I'd be a Bass Baritone - I've always loved the music, the dramatics, and the richness of the lower male voice.

What's your favorite choral piece to sing or the most influential piece to you?
It would HAVE to be the Poulenc Gloria. It was my first major choral solo with orchestra. I also think the piece has so much opportunity for expression within an interesting setting, and it's beautiful!

Who is your singer crush?
I'd have to say Bryn Terfel or Montserrat Caballé. Bryn because he was a footballer prior to his opera career, and the beauty and expressiveness of his instrument. Caballé because she's the woman I've primarily gone to for a vocal model. I absolutely love her instrument, the care she takes for every piece of music she sings, and have always been inspired by her!

Bryn Terfel
Montserrat Caballé
What's the most valuable lesson you ever learned in voice lessons or choir?
I often say that music has prepared me for life. Through lessons and music school, I've learned how to be prepared for the professional world as it requires hard work, creativity, the ability to work within a team.  I also learned how to balance being a leader, organization and prioritization, and most importantly, that there are moments for stunning beauty in life, and others where you just can't take life too seriously. 



This'll be Lindsay soon.
Do you play any other instruments?
I still play the piano, however, I've got a secret ambition to finally learn the accordion, the Ukulele, and the bagpipes (all of which I have at home...and just not enough time to practice...yet).


Who is someone who inspired you and encouraged you to pursue music?
My dad and my high school choir director. When I was little, I used to sing for and with my dad in the car on the way to school every morning. He always cheered me on, but I'd refuse to sing for anyone else (except for the moments in elementary school choir when I was the loud kid). When I decided to join choir, my mom was worried as she wasn't quite sure I could sing, but my father kept reassuring her. When I began choir in high school, Jennifer Whatley was the first kind face I encountered, she really helped me to become a musician, and gave me the direction I needed to study music in college.

What's your proudest musical moment?

This would HAVE to be my trip to the Czech Republic with the UTSA choirs and the Opera To Go Program. I was singing the role of The Cat in Hans Krasa's Brundibar with Opera To Go. The children's opera was frequently performed in Terezin, a holding camp before Auschwitz, where many artists and musicians were placed during the Holocaust. We were invited to perform in the U.S. Ambassador's mansion there. Even more poignant was when we performed the opera in original performance venue in Terezin with some Holocaust survivors who performed it in the camp as children. There has not been a more meaningful musical experience in my life.


What's your favorite holiday carol?
This is a hard one because I love SO many! If I HAD to choose, I'd say Silent Night because it is always my favorite part about the 11pm candlelight Christmas Eve service, my favorite church service of the year, or O Holy Night.



Also Future Lindsay.

What's your favorite guilty musical pleasure?
I have so many so take your pic: yodeling, mariachi, Eastern European vocal ensembles...and also Electronic Dance Music and 90's rock.


Do you have any other passions or hidden talents?
I LOVE crafting, soccer, and volleyball. When I have spare time, I like to play on a sand volleyball league, make cards, and paint. I am also obsessed with watching soccer (my favorite team is Arsenal)


What's your dream choral piece you've been dying to perform?
Bach's Mass in B Minor or the Berlioz Requiem


What's your dream venue to perform at?
The Sydney Opera House - my original life's ambition. However, I think I'm happy anywhere so long as the acoustics are great and the people I'm performing with are inspiring.

Lindsay was a featured singer on SACC's newest album, Unfrozen: Christmas in the Baltics.  It's a beautiful album of Christmas and solstice music from Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia and would make an excellent holiday gift for the classical music lover in your life!  For a limited time, donors who make a generous donation to SACC for $100 or more receive this beautiful CD as a gift!


If you love Lindsay and want to support her singing endeavors, please consider donating to the San Antonio Chamber Choir so that we can continue to provide San Antonio and South Texas with performances of the finest choral music featuring Lindsay and all our extremely talented singers!  Thank you so much!


Concert Time!
Come see Lindsay and all the extremely talented singers of the San Antonio Chamber Choir this December 16th and 17th for SACC's The Mystery of Christmas Concert!  This event celebrates 100 years of recorded jazz and 1,000 years of choral music in a combined concert with special guests, the Jazz Protagonists.  Also featured will be the North East School of the Arts Dancers and the Clark High School Choir.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SACC welcomes our new Executive Director, Roland Barrera!

Anna Osterman is the Soprano in the Spotlight today!

Announcing the Alamo City Street Choir!