Crystal Jarrell's Next in the Spotlight!

Crystal Jarrell is up next in our Singer Spotlight series!  She has been singing with SACC since 2010 and we are delighted to welcome her back for our The Mystery of Christmas concert on Dec. 16 and 17!

Tell us about yourself, Crystal!
I grew up in San Antonio and have been singing my whole life! I was raised in a Church of Christ hearing and singing a cappella harmony from infancy!  I had my first role in the 4th grade as the Halloween Witch in the Christmas musical at school (Father Time's new computer got the holidays mixed up, if you are wondering about the relevancy there... ha!) that is memorialized on VHS somewhere in a box at my parents' house. I saw an opera in my elementary school when I was 10 and I was amazed and inspired!  I sang alto in choir from 4th grade on all the way through school, and started voice lessons at the age of 15, singing in my first operetta as a junior at John Marshall High School in NISD. I always had a great ear but really had to work to develop good vocal technique along the way.  I did my undergrad in Vocal Performance at Abilene Christian University and my graduate work at Indiana University.  I absolutely loved my time in music school, living and breathing music every day all day. It was wonderful, and I treasure that experience.  

Upon graduation, I participated in several young artist programs around the US, including Indianapolis Opera, Nashville Opera, Utah Festival Opera, and San Diego Opera. I then made the transition from young artist to main stage work, as well as concert work, singing with several symphony orchestras including San Diego Symphony, San Antonio Symphony, Arkansas Symphony, among others. I was a finalist in the National Opera Association Vocal Competition as well as a regional finalist in the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions and I won the George Cortez award for classical singing from the San Antonio Artist Foundation in 2010. I have appeared as a soloist with many local organizations such as San Antonio Choral Society, Mid Texas Symphony, San Antonio Opera, Musica Sacra, and Opera San Antonio. This fall my newest musical endeavor, the classical vocal duo Deux, was launched and we have over a dozen performances around the area this season and are now booking for next season. (More info at www.deuxofficialwebsite.com!)  
My husband is a San Antonio native who works for San Antonio Fire Dept and we have a 6-year-old daughter and a 2-year-old son. I also have a private voice studio and am an active performer in the area.

If you could be any other vocal part, which part would you be?
I love being a mezzo, but I do have soprano envy. I wish I could sing some of those amazing coloratura soprano type things. So impressive! 

What's your favorite choral piece to sing or the most influential piece to you?
JS Bach's Singet dem Hernn; as a teenager, learning this Bach piece really taught me a lot about how to sing. I have revisited it several times over the years, and the melismas are just so much fun.



Crystal was a featured singer on SACC's newest album, Unfrozen: Christmas in the Baltics, which is now available for purchase on iTunes.  It's a beautiful album of Christmas and solstice music from Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia and would make an excellent holiday gift for the classical music lover in your life!  For a limited time, donors who make a generous donation to SACC for $100 or more receive this beautiful CD as a gift!

If you love Crystal and want to support her singing endeavors, please consider donating to the San Antonio Chamber Choir so that we can continue to provide San Antonio and South Texas with performances of the finest choral music featuring Crystal and all our extremely talented singers!  Thank you so much!

Concert Time!
Come see Crystal and the rest of the San Antonio Chamber Choir this December 16th and 17th for SACC's The Mystery of Christmas Concert!  This event celebrates 100 years of recorded jazz and 1,000 years of choral music in a combined concert with special guests, the Jazz Protagonists.  Also featured will be the North East School of the Arts Dancers and the Clark High School Choir.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SACC welcomes our new Executive Director, Roland Barrera!

Anna Osterman is the Soprano in the Spotlight today!

Announcing the Alamo City Street Choir!