Baritone Chaz Nailor is our next Singer in the Spotlight!

Baritone Chaz Nailor is our next SACC Singer in the Spotlight!  He's been singing with us for 6 seasons and we're thrilled that he's returning for our The Mystery of Christmas concert on Dec. 16 and 17!  Let's learn more about Chaz!

Tell us about yourself, Chaz!
I grew up in Bay City, TX, and currently live in Austin, TX. My musicianship began early, at around age 5. My late grandmother would regularly drive me to childhood piano lessons. Once I learned both major clefs and some fundamental theory, I was excited to choose an instrument of my own upon arriving at middle school. It was the TROMBONE - all through middle and high school, with concerts, parades, jazz ensembles, and the obligatory marching band that accompanies Texan football. I completed undergraduate studies at The University of Texas's Butler School of Music and attended graduate school at Indiana University's Jacobs School of Music in Bloomington. I hold an appointment at The University of Texas at Austin as a Graduate Programs Coordinator.

What other groups do you sing with?
I am also on the music staff at St. David's Episcopal Church in Downtown Austin

If you could be any other vocal part, which would you be?
Alto!!! Expanded range and Earth Mother chest voice!

What's your favorite choral piece to sing or the most influential piece to you?
Bach's B Minor Mass continues to impress me - it's a Baroque Tour-de-Force!


Who are your musician curshes?
I'm in love with Bach, intellectually; the aesthetics naturally match my sensibilities. Although physically, I crushed hard on the late Baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Although he died earlier this month, he is still well-known for his charisma, good looks, and silver mane. 


RIP you handsome devil
What's the most valuable lesson you've ever learned in choir or voice lessons?
NEVER EVER perform unprepared!

Who is someone who inspired you and encouraged you to pursue music?
My grandmother played the largest and most influential role in my early development -  musically or otherwise. Needless to say, I often think of her, especially in contexts where I'm a featured soloist or cast in a major dramatic role.

What's your favorite holiday carol?
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

What's your favorite musical tradition?
My favorite musical tradition is singing with my fellow Sinfonians, members of a national music fraternity for men called Phi Mu Alpha. The organization has its own songbook, and coupled with fraternal rituals, the music - often a cappella and always in close, all-male vocal harmonies - serves to bond musicians, both professionally and socially. 

Do you play any other instruments?
This'll be Chaz soon.
During childhood I played piano and my focus in adolescence was primarily on the Trombone. I quickly learned the correlation between slide positions and valve fingerings, so I would often play the Euphonium, too. Then, young adult years brought vocal training, along with the Oboe. From keyboard to brass and on to woodwind, I have yet to learn a string instrument. My bucket list includes the Viola or the Violoncello.

What are your fondest musical memories?
My fondest musical memories were the dramatic works of my opera studies. I still reminisce on portrayals of Junius (The Rape of Lucretia by Britten), Argante (Rinaldo by Handel), Bartolo (The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart), and the cantankerous, drunk Benoit (La Boheme by Puccini).

Chaz was a featured singer on SACC's newest album, Unfrozen: Christmas in the Baltics, which is now available for purchase on iTunes.  It's a beautiful album of Christmas and solstice music from Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia and would make an excellent holiday gift for the classical music lover in your life!  For a limited time, donors who make a generous donation to SACC for $100 or more receive this beautiful CD as a gift!

If you love Chaz and want to support his singing endeavors, please consider donating to the San Antonio Chamber Choir so that we can continue to provide San Antonio and South Texas with performances of the finest choral music featuring Chaz and all our extremely talented singers!  Thank you so much!

Concert Time!
Come see Chaz and the rest of the San Antonio Chamber Choir this December 16th and 17th for SACC's The Mystery of Christmas Concert!  This event celebrates 100 years of recorded jazz and 1,000 years of choral music in a combined concert with special guests, the Jazz Protagonists.  Also featured will be the North East School of the Arts Dancers and the Clark High School Choir.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Announcing the Alamo City Street Choir!

Anna Osterman is the Soprano in the Spotlight today!

SACC welcomes our new Executive Director, Roland Barrera!