SACC is thankful for Michael Zuniga, our next Singer Spotlight!

We hope everyone in our extended SACC family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  We are so thankful for our director, our board, our singers, our audience, our generous donors, and YOU!  Thank you for being with us in our musical journey!

Our next Singer Spotlight goes to Michael Zuniga, baritone!  Michael has been performing with SACC for 7 seasons and we are happy to welcome him back for our The Mystery of Christmas concert on December 16 and 17!

Tell us about yourself, Michael!
I'm from San Antonio and received my education from Texas Tech University and the University of Texas at San Antonio, after which I began teaching in the classroom - working with public schools, parochial schools, and non-profit organizations.  I served as the music director for the SA Youth Center, providing them with scholarships and grants via the VH1 Save the Music Foundation, and provided lessons for all of their students. I've also served as a clinician for most of the school districts in San Antonio and the surrounding areas - often times being asked to coach choirs at the secondary level. I was also the assistant choir director at TMI: The Episcopal School of Texas from 2006-2009.  I maintain a music studio that I founded in 2005 called Sinfonia |Voice Piano| Studio - providing coaching to singers of all levels.  I'm also the office manager at Apartments Today Inc.  When not working or performing, I enjoy spending time with my family: my beautiful wife Katy and our pets - Sir Lancelot, Love, and Lucy.  

What other groups have you sing with?
I have sung and performed with the San Antonio Opera, Alamo City Opera, the San Antonio Symphony Mastersingers, the San Antonio Chamber Choir, the Texas Bach Choir, the Texas Mid-Symphony Orchestra, and IlluMen.  I'm an actice soloist in the San Antonio area and have performed at various concert halls and music conventions throughout the country with professional ensembles.  As a member of SACC, I was part of the featured ensemble in two labeled recordings.  I currently serve as the section leader/soloist at St. Mark's Episcopal Church. 

If you could be any other vocal part, which part would you be?  
Honestly, I wouldn't want to be any other vocal part!

What is your favorite choral piece to sing or the most influential piece to you? 
My answer is ever-changing. Right now, I'll say Lauridsen's O Magnum Mysterium

Who are your musician crushes?  
Oh gosh... the list is endless: Eric Whitacre, Barbra Streisand, Chopin, Anthony Warlow,  Jason Robert Brown, Chanticleer, NY Philharmonic, Voces8, Handel, Seraphic Fire, Yo Yo Ma, Faure, Jonas Kaufman, Ravel, Hvorostovsky, The Airmen of Note, etc.

What's the most valuable musical lesson you've ever learned?
Breathe.

Do you play any other instruments?  
I play the piano.  I also played the trombone is high school and college marching band/jazz ensembles.

Who is someone who inspired you and encouraged you to pursue music? 
My mother.  She would play the piano at home on a regular basis and I would stand behind her and sing hundreds of songs as I was growing up.  She recognized my love for music and put me in piano lessons at the age of 5.  I never stopped taking lessons in music through college.  

What's your favorite musical tradition? 
Christmas Eve services 

What's your fondest musical memory? 
One of my fondest musical memories took place when I was 5 years old.  The Children's Chorus of San Antonio was performing Britten's Noye's Fludde.  I played one of the porcupines that skipped onto the ark.  I remember observing and listening to all of the professional singers and listening to the orchestra.  It was amazing! 30 years later, I had the pleasure of performing the character of Noah in the 2016 production of Britten's Noye's Fludde in San Antonio.  I felt like I had come full-circle.

What's your favorite guilty musical pleasure?  
I L-O-V-E musical theatre!

If you love Micheal and want to support his singing endeavors, please consider sponsoring him!  A generous $450 gift to SACC would help continue our mission of providing beautiful choral music to San Antonio, sponsor Michael's participation, and give the donor acknowledgment in our program under Micheal's name!  And for a limited time, those who make a donation of $100 or more to SACC will receive a free copy of SACC's newest recording, Unfrozen:  Christmas in the Baltics, a beautiful album of Christmas and solstice music from Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia!  It makes a perfect holiday gift for the classical music lover in your life!  

Don't forget to see Michael in person on December 16 and 17 for our The Mystery of Christmas concert!  This event celebrates 100 years of recorded jazz and 1,000 years of choral music in a combined concert with special guests, the Jazz Protagonists.  Also featured will be the North East School of the Arts Dancers and the Clark High School Choir.

Please consider donating on #GivingTuesday, November 28, and help SACC continue to provide beautiful choral music to San Antonio!  Thank you so much!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SACC welcomes our new Executive Director, Roland Barrera!

Anna Osterman is the Soprano in the Spotlight today!

Announcing the Alamo City Street Choir!