The Spotlight's on LaDawn Petersen!

Next up in our Singer Spotlight series is LaDawn Petersen who has sung with SACC off and on since the founding of the ensemble!  Come hear LaDawn in person at our The Mystery of Christmas concert on Dec. 16 and 17!

Tell us about yourself, LaDawn!
I grew up with a large family in the Rocky Mountain West (mainly in Colorado), the third of seven children. My dad was a geologist but is retired now.  My mom had the momentous task of being a stay-at-home mom for seven crazy people and I suppose really never gets to retire. They currently live in Utah.  I earned my Bachelors of Music in Vocal Performance and Pedagogy from Brigham Young University-Provo and a Master of Music in Vocal Performance at the University of Texas at San Antonio and I have performed extensively on the stage and in the concert hall.  I previously held faculty positions at both Brigham Young University-Idaho and Armstrong Atlantic University and I'm currently serving as an Adjunct Professor in voice at the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, Texas. I also sing with and conduct various choirs for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have maintained a private voice studio for over 25 years. I met my husband Evan at BYU in BYU Singers. He was in the bass section and I was a second soprano. Convinced he was in the choir to marry a girl in the alto section, he ended up with me instead. He graduated with a degree in sports medicine and has since become a physical therapist. After a long and successful career as a Physical Therapist in the Army, he retired a few years ago and is currently a tenured faculty member of the University of the Incarnate Word School of Physical Therapy here in San Antonio. We have been married for 26 years and have 4 children.

Tell us about your performance history!
very impressive.
Some of the operatic roles I've performed include Pamina in The Magic Flute, Rosalinda in Die Fledermaus, Erisbe in L’Ormindo, Catherine in Washington Square, Laurie in The Tenderland, Mother in Amahl and the Night Visitors, Sandman/Dewfairy in Hansel and Gretel, and Mercedes in Carmen. I've also soloed with the Israel Chamber Orchestra, the San Antonio Symphony, and the Petersburg Symphony. I competed successfully in both the Metropolitan Opera and the San Francisco Opera competitions and also performed with many choirs throughout the country including Brigham Young University Singers and Concert Choir, the Idaho Falls Symphony Chorus, the Petersburg Festival Chorus, San Antonio Symphony Master Singers, and the San Antonio Chamber Choir. I've been the soprano soloist for Handel’s Messiah, Mozart’s Coronation Mass, Mozart’s Vesperae Solemnes de Confessore, Mozart’s Requiem, Fauré’s Requiem, Poulenc’s Gloria, and John Rutter’s Requiem. I've also performed benefit recitals to raise funds for the Red Cross and the Texas Children’s choir. My musical theater experience includes performances at the Salt Lake City Repertory Theater, Robert Redford’s Sundance Theater in Park City, Utah, and the Grafenwoehr Performing Arts Center in Grafenwoehr, Germany. Some of the musical theater roles I've performed include Evita in Evita, Julie Jordan in Carousel, Mabel in Pirates of Penzance, and Antonia in Man of La Mancha.

If you could be any other vocal part, which part would you be?
I can’t imagine being anything but an alto at this point. Altos rock!

What's your favorite choral piece to sing or the most influential piece to you?
At my funeral I want a choir to sing “My Shepherd Will Supply My Need” by Mack Wilberg. I love the message of this music. It says that in heaven, through Christ we will be “no more a stranger or a guest, but like a child at home.” This is the ultimate goal for which I strive.

What's the most valuable lesson you ever learned in voice lessons or choir?
During my time in BYU’s University Singers, our conductor Dr. Ronald Staheli told us that some of our most profound and moving moments making music don’t happen in performance, but in rehearsal. He helped me see that making beautiful music shouldn’t be just about putting on a good show for people it is about the connection we can have with the music and our fellow musicians no matter where we are. This has certainly been the case in my life. Some of my most moving and profound musical experiences have been in rehearsal or in a voice lesson, either as a teacher or student. I came up with a saying that helps me to remember this: "We should always seek to express, not impress."

Do you play any other instruments? 
Piano, violin (well I did when I was younger), and I also play a mean kazoo.

One of LaDawn's beautiful paintings! Her talents overfloweth! 
Do you have any other hidden talents?
Several years ago, I decided I wanted to learn how to paint. I was too poor at the time to afford art lessons so I traded art lessons for voice lessons with a friend for a while. We both later found a wonderful teacher here in San Antonio and it has been a passion of mine ever since.

Who is someone who inspired you or encouraged you to pursue music?
I come from a very musical family. My father could’ve easily had a career as a tenor soloist if he hadn’t chosen to become a geologist (and have 7 children) and my mother played and taught the piano for most of my growing up years. I also had great encouragement and support from my junior high and high school choral and orchestra conductors.

What's your favorite holiday carol?
Hmmm…that’s like picking a favorite child. It's probably a 3-way tie between “The Wexford Carol”, “Stille nacht, heilige nacht”, and “Maria weigenlied” by Max Reger.

What's your favorite guilty musical pleasure?
Singing along with the radio with my kids and occasionally watching awesome vocal performances of all kinds on YouTube.

Are there any composers everyone seems to love but you can't stand?
I don’t know about “can’t stand”, but Mahler and Britten (don’t tell Scott MacPherson) are not my favorite.

What are your fondest musical memories?
Probably singing to my husband when we first started dating and singing lullabies to my children.

What is your proudest musical moment?
BYU University Singers were hired by the Israel Chamber orchestra to sing a couple of Mozart oratorios with them as part of a Mozart festival they were having in Tel Aviv. We performed both the “Corination Mass” and the “Vespers solemnes”. I was a soprano soloist for both works. Of course my favorite part of the concert was when I was able to sing the soprano solo part for “Laudate dominum” from the Vespers. We had several sold out performances in one of their larger performance venues and although the audience did not applaud at the end of most of the movements, they applauded at the end of the Laudate dominum at every concert. It took us all by surprise the first time it happened and it was a thrill every time it happened on subsequent performances.

Brava, LaDawn!

If you love LaDawn and want to support her singing endeavors, please consider sponsoring her!  A generous $450 gift to SACC would help continue our mission of providing beautiful choral music to San Antonio, sponsor LaDawn's participation, and give the donor acknowledgment in our program under LaDawn's name!  And for a limited time, those who make a donation of $100 or more to SACC will receive a free copy of SACC's newest recording, Unfrozen: Christmas in the Baltics, a beautiful album of Christmas and solstice music from Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia!  It makes a perfect holiday gift for the classical music lover in your life!  

Don't forget to see LaDawn in person on December 16 and 17 for our The Mystery of Christmas concert!  This event celebrates 100 years of recorded jazz and 1,000 years of choral music in a combined concert with special guests, the Jazz Protagonists.  Also featured will be the North East School of the Arts Dancers and the Clark High School Choir.

Please consider donating on #GivingTuesday, November 28, and help SACC continue to provide beautiful choral music to San Antonio!  Thank you so much!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SACC welcomes our new Executive Director, Roland Barrera!

Anna Osterman is the Soprano in the Spotlight today!

Announcing the Alamo City Street Choir!