Our first SACC Singer Spotlight: Kay Sherrill!

SACC is delighted to have Kay Sherrill join us again for our upcoming December concert, The Mystery of Christmas!  Kay is a founding member and board member of SACC so this year marks her 14th season with the ensemble!  Let's learn more about Kay!


Tell us about yourself, Kay!
I've lived in New Braunfels for 20 years but I grew up in San Angelo.  I begged my parents for years for piano lessons and finally started taking lessons when I was about 10 years old. I always loved to sing and am grateful that my Junior High choir director gave us tons of renaissance music. I majored in piano for my Bachelor's degree in Music Education at Abilene Christian University.  I got a job teaching elementary school in Mesquite ISD but I missed choir too much so my 2nd year of teaching I moved to Middle School. After getting my Masters degree from Texas State University, I taught my first high school job at Reagan HS in Austin, Texas.  I also taught in San Angelo and Round Rock and I ended my career at Judson HS having taught choir there for 18 years.  


What other groups have you sung with?
I performed with the Santa Fe Desert Chorale one Christmas season and I sang with Conspirare for about 10 years. Currently I sing at various churches around town.


If you could be any other vocal part, which part would you be?
Bass. Duh.

What choral piece has influenced you the most?

Singing the Bach b minor mass was an extraordinary experience. I would have loved to take it on the road!

Who are your composer crushes?
Kinda crazy about Bob Chilcott, Z. Randall Stroope, Ivo Antognini, Ralph Vaughan Williams, J.S. Bach, Scarlatti, and Palestrina. But William Byrd is my real boyfriend.


What's the most valuable lesson you ever learned in choir?
To value the importance of silence.


Do you play any other instruments?

Just piano. And a little folk guitar.


Who is someone who inspired you or encouraged you to pursue music?

My High School piano teacher Mrs. Johnson.

What's your favorite holiday carol?
Good King Wenceslas


Any choral composers everyone seems to love but you can't stand?
I don't love Handel. And I don't love singing Beethoven. 

What is your fondest musical memory?
My McNeil high school choir's performance of There Is a Flower by John Rutter at UIL in 1995.

What is your proudest musical moment?
Auditioning for and making it into Conspirare and the Desert Chorale.


What is your favorite guilty musical pleasure?

James Taylor all the time.


What is your dream choral piece you've been dying to perform?

Howells Requiem and anything by Ockeghem


What is your dream venue to perform at?

Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center

Yay Kay!!!

Kay was a featured singer on SACC's newest recording, Unfrozen: Christmas in the Baltics!  It's a beautiful album of Christmas and solstice music from Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia and would make an excellent holiday gift for the classical music lover in your life!  For a limited time, donors who make a generous donation to SACC for $100 or more receive this beautiful CD as a gift!  Please consider donating today!

Also available to Kay's friends and family is the ability to sponsor her!  A gift of $450 to SACC would sponsor Kay's participation in this December's concerts and give the donor acknowledgment in our concert program next to Kay's name.  


Concert Time!

Come see Kay and all the extremely talented singers of the San Antonio Chamber Choir this December 16th and 17th for SACC's The Mystery of Christmas Concert!  This event celebrates 100 years of recorded jazz and 1,000 years of choral music in a combined concert with special guests, the Jazz Protagonists.  Also featured will be the North East School of the Arts Dancers and the Clark High School Choir.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SACC welcomes our new Executive Director, Roland Barrera!

Anna Osterman is the Soprano in the Spotlight today!

Announcing the Alamo City Street Choir!