Mary-Grace Bayer: a new soprano to SACC!

SACC is happy to welcome Mary-Grace Bayer into our roster of singers!  She is joining us for the first time for our The Mystery of Christmas concert this weekend, Dec. 16 and 17!  Let's learn more about Mary-Grace!

Tell us about yourself, Mary-Grace!
I grew up in Lake Jackson, Texas, which is known as the birthplace of Buc-ees and for Ron Paul riding around the streets on his bicycle. I grew up singing in church choir and doing community musical theatre at the Center for the Arts and Sciences with my family. I sung in school choir and played flute in the band up through high school. I was also the drum major of the band my senior year, which is the only reason I know anything about football.  I went to school at Trinity University here in San Antonio and studied Medieval History, German, and Geology. I also sang in two choirs at Trinity under Scott MacPherson and played flute in the wind ensemble. I have done a myriad of things so far in my “career”—I worked for Disney Cruise Line, wrote and designed museum exhibitions, taught middle school and high school English, and at the moment I am a grant writer. My family consists of two purebred whippets and my fiance. We are getting married this New Year’s Eve.

If you could be any other vocal part, which would you be?
Bass. I feel like I could have an okay singing career as a female bass.

What is some of your favorite music?
I love German choral music.  I am also obsessed with comedic operas.

Who is your musician crush?
Yo-Yo Ma. He is so sexy. 

Yo-Yo Ma: Ooh La La!
Do you play any other instruments?
I play guitar, flute, and piano

Who is someone who inspired you and encouraged you to pursue music?
My high school band directors and musical theater directors. 

What's your favorite guilty musical pleasure?
Celine Dion’s greatest hits. 90’s country love songs.

What's your favorite musical tradition?
Singing “Der Mai ist Gekommen” in the town square with a crowd of drunken people in Germany at midnight on the last day in April.


Do you have any other passions or hidden talents?
I speak German. I know almost every Disney song. I have weak cartilage in my nose, so I can bend it over flat to look like Voldemort. I used to be on a country western dance team. I am a vegetarian.



If you love Mary-Grace and want to support her singing endeavors, please consider donating to the San Antonio Chamber Choir so that we can continue to provide San Antonio and South Texas with performances of the finest choral music featuring Mary-Grace and all our extremely talented singers!  For a limited time, those who make a donation of $100 or more to SACC will receive a free copy of SACC's newest recording, Unfrozen: Christmas in the Baltics, a beautiful album of Christmas and solstice music from Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia now available on iTunes!  It makes a perfect holiday gift for the classical music lover in your life!  


Concert Time!
Don't forget to see Mary-Grace in person this weekend on December 16 and 17 for our The Mystery of Christmas concert!  This event celebrates 100 years of recorded jazz and 1,000 years of choral music in a combined concert with special guests, the Jazz Protagonists.  Also featured will be the North East School of the Arts Dancers and the Clark High School Choir.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SACC welcomes our new Executive Director, Roland Barrera!

Anna Osterman is the Soprano in the Spotlight today!

Announcing the Alamo City Street Choir!