Let's shine some light on Kim Denmark!

Let's shine some light on Kim Denmark, a new alto to SACC!  We're thrilled that Kim is joining us on our The Mystery of Christmas concert on Dec. 16 and 17!

Tell us about yourself, Kim!
I grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia, in a city called Plymouth Meeting.  I went to school at Temple University in Philadelphia where I studied Music Education and received a Bachelor in Music in voice and trumpet.  I also got my Master's Degree in Music Education from Stephen F Austin University.  After graduating college, I moved to Houston and taught music in Houston schools for several years and sang opera and with a variety of groups.  I met my husband running a half marathon in 1999 and we got married in 2001. We moved to San Antonio in 2011 where I teach private voice, trumpet and piano for a living.  I teach at St Phillip's College, Jose M Lopez Middle School, Tex Hill Middle School, San Antonio Montessori School, and my home based studio.  I also sing and play professionally and I'm a member of NATS, ITG and TMEA. I  have three children -- Nicholas 14, Angelina 13, and Journey 4.  They keep me super busy!!! 

What other groups do you sing with?  
I have sung with Opera San Antonio.  I sing with St. Luke's Episcopal Church and play trumpet with CBC orchestra.  I am excited to share this SACC season with an amazing group of singers and cannot wait to hear what we create together.

What's your favorite choral piece to sing or the most influential piece to you? 
The Messiah -- it is pure beauty and tells the story of Christ with music that is so precise and intricate.

Who is your singer crush?  
Cecilia Bartoli because she has done so much for the world of the mezzo soprano!!!

Cecilia Bartoli
What's the most valuable lesson you ever learned in voice lessons or choir? 
To be confident.  Even if you are wrong do it strong ... and that God has given you a gift--share it!!!

Who is someone who inspired you and encouraged you to pursue music?  
My uncle was a HUGE influence on me musically.  He studied music at Temple University and was a composition major and has composed many works.  He teaches at the collegiate level as well and is a skilled guitarist, bassist and pianist and organist.  He is also a choral director.  I started taking piano lessons from him at the age of 2.  Also Susan Munzer was a fabulous voice teacher at Temple University and helped me to develop confidence and become a musician.  

What's your favorite holiday carol? 
I Wonder as I Wander

What's your favorite singing tradition?  
I love Christmas Caroling and taking my children and their friends on this tradition.  

What are your fondest musical memories?  
I loved being in the marching band in high school and learning team work and leadership.  

What's your proudest musical moment? 
Seeing my daughter make region band and choir this year!!!  and both being in honors band!!  Watching my children perform in all different venues solo since the age of 3!!!  I love passing on my music to my children and seeing their success!!!

What's your favorite guilty musical pleasure?  
Singing for my Dad in Italian restaurants!!!  

Do you have any other passions or hidden talents?  
I run!!  I also do crossfit and I consider myself an athlete.  I also do a lot of service for the community and with my crossfit group.  
There goes Kim!
What's your dream choral piece you've been dying to perform? 
I sung it a while back.. but I would love to sing Vivaldi's Gloria again!!!  Just such glorious and triumphant music.

What's your dream venue to perform at? 
MET!!!  


If you love Kim and want to support her singing endeavors, please consider donating to the San Antonio Chamber Choir so that we can continue to provide San Antonio and South Texas with performances of the finest choral music featuring Kim and all our extremely talented singers!  For a limited time, those who make a donation of $100 or more to SACC will receive a free copy of SACC's newest recording, Unfrozen: Christmas in the Baltics, a beautiful album of Christmas and solstice music from Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia now available on iTunes!  It makes a perfect holiday gift for the classical music lover in your life!  

Concert Time!
Don't forget to see Kim in person on December 16 and 17 for our The Mystery of Christmas concert!  This event celebrates 100 years of recorded jazz and 1,000 years of choral music in a combined concert with special guests, the Jazz Protagonists.  Also featured will be the North East School of the Arts Dancers and the Clark High School Choir.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SACC welcomes our new Executive Director, Roland Barrera!

Anna Osterman is the Soprano in the Spotlight today!

Announcing the Alamo City Street Choir!