Cristian Cantu: a new face to SACC!

Today's Singer Spotlight is on Cristian Cantu, a new tenor to SACC! 

Tell us about yourself, Cristian!
It’s a long and complicated track to follow, but I was born in Monterrey, Mexico, moved to Baltimore, MD when I was 3, and stayed there until my undergrad. I lived in Columbus, GA for 5 years and now I’m in Austin, TX studying at UT for my master's degree! But I have a secret desire to run back to the Northeast one day.

I was originally a horn player at The Baltimore School for the Arts and at my alma mater, Columbus State University in Columbus, GA. I studied with Phil Hooks (MD local teacher and hero), Karen Bakkegard (Baltimore Opera), Phil Munds (Baltimore Symphony), and Anna Dodd (Atlanta Opera) and I performed with the Springer Opera House Orchestra, Columbus Symphony Orchestra, LaGrange Symphony Orchestra, and in a side-by-side performance with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra

While approaching my senior year at Columbus State University, I developed a powerful passion for organ hymnody and the art of Choral Conducting which eventually led me to changing my major and pursuing graduate education in Choral Conducting.  I’ve studied privately with Dr. Chris Ford & Dr. Mark Hardy (Baltimore School for the Arts), Paul Hostetter, Dr. Jamie Nix, and Constantina Tsolainou (Columbus State University), Dr. James Morrow (The University of Texas at Austin), and Dr. Steven Brennfleck (Ars Longa Ensemble).  I have also served as Assistant Choirmaster of St. Thomas Episcopal Church (Columbus, GA) and guest conductor of Austin-based prismatx ensemble, and I am the founder and Artistic Director of Austin Cantorum, a chamber choir focusing on Anglican traditions in choral music.  Eventually, I would like to study the traditions and advancement of choir styles/techniques in Scandinavia.

What other groups do you currently sing with?
Cristian's a busy bee.
As a church musician, I am currently singing with Good Shepherd Episcopal Church (Austin, TX) and I'm also a member of the Compline Choir at St. David’s Episcopal Church. Summer 2018 will feature a residency at Norwich Cathedral as a cantor and conductor with my Columbus church choir, St. Thomas Episcopal.

Professionally, I am currently singing with Ars Longa Ensemble, Austin Baroque Orchestra, Inversion Ensemble, the 2nd Annual Texas Bach Festival, and UT’s Bach Cantata Project.

If you could be any other vocal part, which part would you be?
I would be an alto in a heart beat! They’re usually just my favorite people and they provide an ample amount of body and richness to the choir.

What's your favorite choral piece?
My favorite piece to sing would have to be Durufle’s Requiem. The amount of energy generated in that piece is tremendous. All of the reverence Durufle had for the original chant shines through - add that to his precise word painting and lyric writing, and you’ve got one hell of a piece!

What piece of music has influenced you the most?
It's a tie between Prokofiev Symphony No. 5 and Shostakovich Symphony No. 10. Both pieces have a kinetic/frantic energy that drives the motor of an insane need to break away from cruelty and forced normalcy. I performed both of them in a time when I was struggling with breaking away from something I thought I loved but was causing so much pain - only to come out triumphant at the end (Just like both of these symphonies!).

Who is your conductor crush and why?
Shamelessly have to admit that I’ve got a crush on James Jordan - His ability to generate such a warm and powerful sound from his choirs is really breathtaking!

What's the most valuable lesson you ever learned in choir?
“Trying ain’t sh*t” - one of my current choral conductors.

Who is someone who inspired you and encouraged you to pursue music?
I’ve have many teachers and mentors in my life that drove me to really loving music and allowing it to naturally become my passion. The most influential would have to be a tie between Constantina Tsolainou (Columbus State University University Singers) and Rick McKnight (Choirmaster at St. Thomas Episcopal Church)

What's your favorite holiday carol?

What's your favorite singing tradition?
Anglican Chant!

We love you too, Cristian.
What's your favorite guilty musical pleasure?
I’m a huge fan of Walk The Moon and am excited to see them live in Atlanta on January 30!!

What are your fondest musical memories?
Getting to conduct Westminster Choir College’s 200 piece Symphonic Chorus in Beethoven Symphony No. 9 for my audition to their graduate conducting program.

Also, seeing Carl Nielsen’s opera Maskarade performed by the Danish Royal Opera Company in Copenhagen the summer after I stopped playing horn (2015?) and having tears stream down my face from the many intense memories of playing horn I suddenly lived through. I just wasn’t ready for the reaction I’d have.

What's your proudest musical moment?
Playing Bells for Stokowski by Michael Daugherty and absolutely killing the ridiculous horn parts.

Do you have any other passions or hidden talents?
I have a knack for aesthetics in interior design as well as event planning. I love cooking and taking day-long trips to amusement parks and screaming my head off.

What's your dream choral piece you've been dying to perform?

Meyerhoff Symphony Hall

What's your dream venue to perform at?
Meyerhoff Symphony Hall - Baltimore, MD 

If you love Cristian and want to support his singing endeavors, please consider donating to the San Antonio Chamber Choir so that we can continue to provide San Antonio and South Texas with performances of the finest choral music featuring Cristian and all our extremely talented singers!  For a limited time, those who make a donation of $100 or more to SACC will receive a free copy of SACC's newest recording, Unfrozen: Christmas in the Baltics, a beautiful album of Christmas and solstice music from Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia!  It makes a perfect holiday gift for the classical music lover in your life!  

Don't forget to see Cristian in person on December 16 and 17 for our The Mystery of Christmas concert!  This event celebrates 100 years of recorded jazz and 1,000 years of choral music in a combined concert with special guests, the Jazz Protagonists.  Also featured will be the North East School of the Arts Dancers and the Clark High School Choir.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SACC welcomes our new Executive Director, Roland Barrera!

Anna Osterman is the Soprano in the Spotlight today!

Announcing the Alamo City Street Choir!